Philip Blackford, M.Ed.
Philip Blackford is an executive coach at Right Management. He has also serves as a Subject Matter Expert in Right’s global Center of Excellence.
Philip combines 20 years of business leadership with over 14 years of executive coaching experience. He has effectively coached senior leaders and established executives up to the CEO and President levels. Philip has worked extensively in the financial services industry with organizations such as HSBC, RBC, Manulife Financial, and Scotiabank, and also has significant experience in the healthcare, publishing, manufacturing, consumer packaged goods and pharmaceutical industries.
His areas of special interest and expertise include leadership effectiveness, organizational change, executive integration coaching, and political savvy. He is skilled in helping leaders make critical career choices and develop effective personal and professional growth strategies.
Selected executive coaching assignments include:
- Coaching for the SVP & Chief Underwriting Officer of an insurance company to develop stronger executive presence and the ability to more effectively engage and performance manage his team.
- Coaching for the President of a global manufacturer which strengthened his communication skills and increased his capacity to influence and motivate his team; the President subsequently decided to provide similar coaching support to selected members of his executive team.
- Coaching for Canadian Country Manager for a US-based consumer packaged goods company to strengthen his strategic perspective and increase his ability to motivate and inspire a team; following this six- month assignment, the leader was offered an expatriate assignment five times larger than his previous role.
- Assessment feedback and development planning support for senior and C-Suite executives in Financial Services.
- Coaching for the CIO of a prominent Canadian Healthcare organization to broaden his interpersonal skills and strengthen his overall process and leadership capability.
A selection of group-based leadership development engagements include:
- Consumer Packaged Goods Industry – Change Management
- Pharmaceutical – Career Development
- Financial Services – Team Building / Change Management
- Chemical Industry - Career Development
Business/Organizational Leadership Experience
Philip oversees Right’s Executive Career Management services for the organization’s Eastern North American region. Prior to joining Right, Philip was Executive Director of the Canadian Outward Bound Wilderness School. Under his leadership the school became the fastest growing Outward Bound organization in North America and arguably the most innovative and inclusive Outward Bound school in the world.
Education and Training
Philip holds a Master of Education degree in counseling psychology from the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (University of Toronto) is a member of the faculty of Arts & Science at York University and is certified to administer and interpret a wide range of psychometric assessments tools, including:
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI)
- Hogan Leadership Forecast Series© (HPI, HDS, MVPI)
- BarOn Emotional Quotient Inventory (EQ-i™)
- Leadership Effectiveness Analysis™ (LEA) 360
- Extended DISC® System (DISC®)
- Compass® & Benchmarks® 360s
Coaching Value Proposition
Philip integrates a sound understanding of business strategy with an exceptional ability to connect with executives and senior leaders who are motivated to enhance their leadership capability. He is described by colleagues as “articulate, passionate, dedicated, highly principled, a mediator and conciliator, spirited, courageous and inspiring”.
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end in life." - Robert Louis Stevenson
Manage your Right Management Subscriptions
We not only respect your privacy, but we respect your inbox too. We don't want to send you any more emails than you want. YOU control the amount and types of emails you receive from us. Use this page anytime to instantly update your email marketing preferences in real-time. Please note by providing us with your email address, you are verifying you will accept electronic communications from Right Management.
Please verify your personal information and then let us know how we can communicate with you.
Thank you for signing up!
Watch your inbox for the latest thought leadership from Right Management.